One Laptop Per Child on its way to Australia

The One Laptop Per Child initiative, a charity which is attempting to create and distribute educational laptops to disadvantaged children, is on its way to Australia. OLPC Australia was unveiled at the Linux.conf.au open source conference this week.

The Australian group is still being put together, but organiser Pia Waugh said its goals will be to get the OLPC XO laptops out to disadvantaged children across Australia – particularly in remote and rural areas.

Although the OLPC’s XO laptop was designed to be used as a beginners computer, it has become a cool, low cost laptop favoured by geeks – as proved by the number of LCA attendees carrying them around this week.

The local OLPC chapter will be selling XOs to the public, although it’s expected they’ll be sold in small batches  of five units or so, rather than one at a time.

The website for the group isn’t live yet, but should be up in about 2 weeks at www.olpc.org.au.

10 Comments

1. Tom Russell Said,

February 4, 2008 @ 1:58 am

Computerbank Queensland are interested as we refurbish older computers with Linux and donate them at cost to the Digital Divide, many of whom are children who need something they can use for their school home work.

Laptops never come to us, so the XO would fill an important need.

I hope that the brains in the Rudd think tank get to here about this laptop, as it would reduce the cost of the Government’s promise, help keep inflation at manageable levels and stimulate the local IT Open Source industry.

2. Steve Gunnell Said,

February 4, 2008 @ 10:35 pm

Those of us that don’t need high power but do need portability, connectivity, and long battery life are poorly served by the standard laptop and PDA markets. Being able to finance a free laptop for a remote kid is just icing on the cake. Kevin Rudd please take note!

3. Another Anon Said,

February 6, 2008 @ 4:34 am

Chalk me down for one (batch? Do i have to have friends?) purchase, err two, umm one.

4. John Said,

February 11, 2008 @ 8:22 pm

Great! I picked one up from the US but have been too scared to fully exploit its portability in case I broke it and could not replace it. Now I will l be able to fully test its indestructibility by carrying it on my bicycle during rainstorms!

I’m very happy with my XO and can recommend them for an “on the road” computer, as an extension of a home network. If I was to design and build myself a laptop the result would have been pretty well like the XO so thanks OLPC for building my dream laptop for me! Hopefully I can return the favour by contributing to development.

5. Michael and Annelise Breadon Said,

February 18, 2008 @ 6:45 am

I am enquiring as to whether these laptops could be donated to the Burmese refugees in camps along the Thailand burma border. I will be going there in may this year…. MIchael and .Annelise.

6. peter underwood Said,

February 19, 2008 @ 10:32 pm

Hello im just wondering if my partner and i qualify to receive a laptop or desktpo pc we have six kids our eldest daughter is 10 this year and she is in education support, im on disability pension, is there any cost involved and if so how much, i think that what you are trying to do is a great thing as not everyone can afford new computers and it is a great service to all communities thankyou and kind regards peter underwood

7. OLPC Australia » One Laptop per Child on its way to Australia Said,

March 2, 2008 @ 7:38 am

[…] OLPC Australia was unveiled at the Linux.conf.au open source conference this week. — One Laptop per Child on its way to Australia by Sarah Stokely, The Open Source Report This entry was written by admin, posted on March 2, 2008 […]

8. OLPC Australia » One Laptop per Child on its way to Australia Said,

March 2, 2008 @ 12:30 pm

[…] OLPC Australia was unveiled at the Linux.conf.au open source conference this week. — One Laptop per Child on its way to Australia by Sarah Stokely, The Open Source Report This entry was written by admin, posted on February 1, […]

9. OLPC Australia » One Laptop per Child on its way to Australia Said,

March 21, 2008 @ 9:33 am

[…] OLPC Australia was unveiled at the Linux.conf.au open source conference this week. — One Laptop per Child on its way to Australia by Sarah Stokely, The Open Source Report This entry was written by jdub, posted on February 1, […]

10. dan Said,

November 17, 2008 @ 1:04 am

i am a student and im telling you these computers are all out failure……… boommmmmm!!!!!!!!!!! crash burning from the inpact. the problem is that australian have lived with microsoft and mac.. the software on these computer are ill equpit if teacher are wanting to send work a doc file will not open up on linux software unless like me u r in a geek kind of relm and you are able to too boot the computers in xp and install software from microsoft office and so on. teenagers will have to end up having to learn a new software which can be dawnting for some.. but owwell i dont mind them there going to be free 🙂 as one can adapt and tune these jr. computers in to something a little bit more respectful 🙂